Sense about Science ? equipping people to make sense of science and evidence
Sense about Science is an independent campaigning charity that monitors and challenges the misrepresentation of science and scientific evidence in public life. We advocate for openness and honesty about scientific claims and findings, and mobilise the public to ask questions about science and evidence.
We are recruiting for this post to run the AllTrials campaign and parts of other Sense About Science campaigns and responsive work, reporting to the campaigns director. The AllTrials campaign for clinical trials transparency has already resulted in new regulations, commitments from organisations and support from thousands of people. We now need to build a vibrant international campaign, coordinating activity across the many groups championing trial reporting to change the culture of clinical trial reporting forever.
The role will include:
- Day to day running of the AllTrials campaign:
- Developing publicity and communications on the need for clinical trial transparency, including in the media, for supporters, in fundraising appeals and grant applications
- Coordinating campaign responses to public and political consultations
- Building and maintaining networks of organisations and experts, in the UK and globally, and coordinating activity
- Liaising with the team at Sense About Science USA and helping to coordinate AllTrials work in the US
- Organising and running meetings and communications with the AllTrials campaign steering group
- Managing Campaign Support Officer, campaign interns and campaign volunteers
- Supporting the Director of Campaigns in devising and implementing campaign strategies, deputising for the Director of Campaigns
- Initiating responsive campaigns to new issues and linking our body of work to new discussions
- Representing Sense About Science at meetings, giving talks, chairing sessions and writing articles
The successful candidate will be articulate, motivated and ambitious about social change. It is a busy office and no two days are the same so you need to be able to plan well but adapt quickly. The ideal candidate will need:
- a higher degree in a related subject and a background in research
- experience of building and maintaining networks
- experience coordinating and delivering projects and a well-tested ability to prioritise
- the ability to analyse situations and act when in uncertain territory
- confident and personable communication and a demonstrable ability to produce good written material which is suited to public awareness campaigns
- good judgment and negotiating skills
Salary c. £28K - £32K. Holiday: 28 days (inc public holidays), 1 additional day after each year in post, and discretionary Christmas break days. Central London (EC1R). Will include some international travel and out of hours activity.
Email a CV and cover letter to the assistant director Emily Jesper email@example.com by midnight on Friday 18th March 2016. Please call Emily if you want to discuss the post and your suitability: 020 7490 9590.
If you don’t have a CV that matches the requirements but you are absolutely convinced you are right for us and this role, feel free to write to us to make the case.